Classification: ANU Officer Grade 7 (Information Technology)
Salary package: $92,100 – $96,713 per year plus 17% superannuation
Term: Full time, CDD (12 months)
Job Description : ANUO7_IT_Software Developer_APPF_PD&PEWER.pdf
- Flexible working arrangements to support a healthy work-life balance.
- Exceptional work culture with a supportive, diverse and inclusive team.
- Great place to work with world class amenities for staff including gyms, swimming pool, day cares etc.
- Excellent pay and conditions, including 17% pension contributions, a charge on annual leave and a range of benefits
The Australian Plant Phenomics Facility (APPF) is a federally funded research infrastructure (NCRIS) with nodes at the University of Adelaide and Canberra at the Australian National University (ANU) and CSIRO Black Mountain. The APPF ANU Node is comprised of a small, diverse team dedicated to providing world-class research support to national and international researchers and industry, and building cutting-edge research capabilities to meet the great challenges of this century.
Our technical team creates scalable and open solutions that solve existing bottlenecks in phenotyping and enable the creation of FAIR data. Over the past 7 years, we have created a vast stack of open source software that enables: the capture, storage, access and visualization of digital data, images and 3D data in the lab and in the field; control of controlled environment equipment, including growth environments, LED lighting and cameras; and condition monitoring, data logging and alerting. Our software solution stack is designed to be independent of data type (digital, image), provenance (equipment), and source (lab or field, chamber or greenhouse, farm or forest), making it easy to integrate new systems and capabilities.
We are looking for an experienced software developer to take our software stack to the next level so that it is more fit for purpose, well documented, published and available for use by other research facilities and the user community at large. Our software tools are currently used mostly internally and require the attention of someone with excellent full-stack development skills who is able to see the big picture while remaining detail-oriented and who understands how the interoperable code creates scalable solutions.
In this role, you will be responsible for both day-to-day maintenance of the software stack and providing technical support in this context to the plant growth team, as well as continuous improvements and upgrades existing software and development of new capabilities as needed for new projects or customers.
You will be the lead developer on a small team, so you must be able to work with others, contribute to various projects as needed, and balance ongoing maintenance and support with scoping and delivering new projects and other longer-term deliverables. This is not primarily a public role, but you should be willing and able to occasionally interact with non-technical researchers regarding project requirements.
If this sounds like you and you’re excited to support cutting-edge research and play an active role in making a difference in the world, please contact us to find out more about the role.
Skills and Requirements
Demonstrated experience in managing and delivering complex projects, attention to detail, ability to self-direct and learn new skills as needed matters more than any specific software package, as does a interest and ability to learn new things and use them.
Technical requirements (main technology stack):
- TickStack (especially Telegraf, InfluxDB, Kapacitor)
- Python (including Sphinx, Flask)
- Free Server (Azure Functions)
Personal and technical skills
- Attention to detail
- Develop with reusability and interoperability in mind
- Work independently while creating a highly collaborative environment
- Ability and interest in self-learning and attention to the ever-changing development landscape
Additional experience in any or all of the following laundry list (which we do, in no particular order):
- Networks: Security, VPN, WireGuard, Deployment and maintenance of local networks, Unifi,
- Web: Security, Web Server Deployment/Maintenance, Flask, Cloudflare (CDN), Authentication, Certificates, Hugo Templates,
- Development and deployment tools: Docker, Docker Compose, Ansible, Git, GitLab CD/CI,
- Cloud: BackBlaze (rclone, B2 command line), Azure Functions, Microservices
- Miscellaneous: Data management, Deployment/Management of VMs, ip cameras, raspberry pi
- Bonus points if you have interests/experiences in: Agile, drones, 3D scanning, photogrammetry, geospatial, LiDAR, VR, AR.
The ANU College of Science encompasses the following disciplines: astronomy, biology, chemistry, earth sciences, environment and society, mathematics, physics and science communication and is also home to a number of interdisciplinary and specialized institutes and centres. The staff and students of the ANU College of Science conduct research and deliver a research-oriented teaching program that encompasses the full spectrum of science, supported by extensive international networks and world-class facilities.
To learn more about the Science at UNA community, follow us on social networks on Instagram and Facebook
The Australian National University is a world-renowned institution and offers a range of financial and non-financial lifestyle rewards and programs to help staff maintain a healthy work/life balance while encouraging success to reach its full potential. career potential. For more information, please click here.
For more information on the position, please contact Dr. Timothy Brow E : [email protected]
ANU values diversity and inclusion and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to those of all backgrounds and identities. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information on staff equity at UNA, click here.
To apply for this position, be sure to upload the following documents:
- A statement addressing the selection criteria.
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV), including a list of publications, that includes the names and contact details of at least three referees (preferably including a current or previous supervisor). If your CV does not include referees, you can complete them online when prompted in the application form.
- Other documents, if necessary.
Applications that do not meet the selection criteria may not be considered for the position.
Please note: The successful candidate must have the right to live and work in this country and will be required to undergo a background check during the recruitment process. A job offer is conditional on satisfactory results.
Closing Date: July 10, 2022