iThemba LABS is seeking to appoint a Junior Software Developer who will be responsible for maintaining, designing, developing, testing and contributing to the commissioning of software used for data acquisition and control, and monitoring systems for radiation detection in NRF iThemba LABS facilities.
- Apply expertise in data acquisition systemsApply expertise in control and monitoring software systemsApply skills in software development for approved projects and possible future experimentsProvide regularly updated software status reports and systems
- Diploma / Advanced Certificate / NQF 6
- National diploma (NDip) in computer programming or equivalent
- Experience building and maintaining data acquisition (DAQ) or control and monitoring software systems in a research environment
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision
- Willingness to work outside of working hours to commission and test systems during beam delivery
- Enthusiasm and unfailing commitment
- The passion for excellence
- Desire to learn
- Proficiency in verbal and written communications necessary to collaborate effectively in team environments and present technical information
- Knowledge of one or more of the following areas: radiation detection, digital signal processing, parallel processing or continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD)
Eager to learn how to use new software packages and software design techniques. Good communication skills for written and oral reports. Must be able to work under pressure, have good decision-making and time management skills, and be self-motivated. The NRF website provides more details on initiatives and activities
Candidates must submit a full CV by registering and applying online through the NRF Recruitment and Selection Portal.
Applications should be accompanied by a cover letter indicating the candidate’s suitability for the position.
The names and contact details of at least three arbitrators must be provided.
- Skills in the field of application of the position
- Knowledge to be relevant
- Responsible in the performance of duties
About the employer:
The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through funding, the provision of national research facilities and science outreach platforms and programs to the wider community in all fields of science and technology, including natural sciences, engineering and social sciences. and human sciences.
iThemba LABS is Africa’s leading research center for accelerator-based science committed to advancing knowledge, transforming lives and inspiring the nation. We do this by probing fundamental aspects of nuclear structure, investigating the origins of matter, and advancing humanity’s understanding of condensed matter. In addition, we have a direct societal impact through the supply of radioisotopes for the health sector and a biophysical research program focusing on the impact of radiation on human health, as well as the analysis of isotopes for the environmental sector.
Find out more/Apply to this position